The Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce will host a Candidate Forum for Chino and for Chino Hills on October 3 and October 10 respectively.
Chino Candidate Forum
The Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce is hosting its 2018 Candidate Forum for Chino City Council on Wednesday, October 3, from 7:00 – 8:30. at the Chino City Hall Chamber located at 13220 Central Ave, Chino, CA 91710. Candidates will be invited who seek office for the City of Chino City Council District 1, District 2, and District 3.
Chino Hills Candidate Forum
The following Wednesday, October 10th, from 7:00- 8:30, the Chamber will host the Chino Hills Candidate forum in the Chino Hills City Council Chamber located at 14000 City Center Dr, Chino Hills, CA 91709. Candidates will be invited who seek office for City of Chino Hills City Council District 4.
Doors for both events will open promptly at 6:15. Registration tables will be set up to confirm reserved seating so please RSVP to ZWelborn@ChinoValleyChamber.com and arrive ahead of the appointed forum time.
Submit Candidate Forum Questions
Questions for the candidates are requested from the public and can be sent to email ZWelborn@ChinoValleyChamber.com or mail to the Chamber office at 13150 7th St, Chino, CA 91710 no later than September 30, 2018. Questions should be simple and limited to no more than three proposed questions per email or mail. Questions will be sorted by topic with the best representation selected by an independent Chamber committee.
Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Zeb Welborn reminds the public that the Chamber does not endorse candidates, but chooses to host the candidate positions on issues important to the community which gives them a chance to address those issues in public. Crime, traffic, economic development, infrastructure, open space, and homelessness are typical topics in local municipal elections.
The event is free and open to the public, please RSVP to ensure a seat and email ZWelborn@ChinoValleyChamber.com or call the Chamber office at 909-627-6177.
Executive Director’s Report #2: August, 2018
We’ve had a great few months at the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce with lots of new member growth and exciting new things happening. This month I wanted to focus on our new members and welcoming them to our community.
New Member Mixer at Chino Youth Museum
On August 16, the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce hosted our New Member Business Mixer at the Chino Youth Museum.
We had an amazing turnout with 18+ of our new members participating. The night was filled with great food, excellent raffle prizes and fun business networking. We even had a few kids running around.
Thank you to our new members who participated that night:
- Wheel House Center,
- Retro Rolling Video Games – Best Game Truck in Chino / Chino Hills,
- The Dental Office on Soquel Canyon,
- KB Real Estate,
- New York Life Insurance
- CardConnect West
- doTERRA Essential Oils
- Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, Chino Hills
- KidsArt – Chino Hills
- D1 Networks
- SoCal Synergy
- C & S California Capital
- Home Heights Realty
- Small Business Breakthrough
- OneWest Bank
- Los Portales
- Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, Chino Hills
- Space Lift Design
New Member Explosion
Since the start of the new fiscal year, we’ve made a lot of strides to help provide more service for members of the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce and it’s been showing in our numbers. On June 1, 2014 the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce had 336 members and has gone up and down in small increments since then.
Until … our membership began to grow in March, 2018.
Since March our Chamber has gone from 319 members to 375 as it stands today and we’re adding more members every week.
A huge reason for the increase in our membership numbers is our new membership coordinator, David Bare. David began working with us around March/April 2018 and has been extremely proactive in reaching out to businesses in our community to let them know about all the good work we’re doing at the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce.
Here’s our net membership growth per month since March, 2018:
- March: 319 to 327
- April: 327 to 346
- May: 346 to 358
- June: 358 to 364
- July: 364 to 371
- August: 371 to 375
When David meets with businesses in the Chino Valley he lets businesses know a variety of ways the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce can help their business. The things he’s found business owners find most attractive about the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce are:
- Being part of the Chino Valley Business community
- Our customizable listings on our website which act as a second website to help drive more traffic to member websites
- Our quarterly email blasts which members can use to get in front of 2,000+ local businesses and community leaders
- The fun group of people you can meet and connect with
“The reason that a lot of people are not chamber members,” David says, “is because no one ever asked them. Kind of like the reason some people are not married.”
Thank you David Bare for all your hard work to bring new businesses into the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce!
This month we’ll be sharing photos of the plaques our new members have received this month on our Facebook page. Be sure to follow us on Facebook if you’re not already – https://www.facebook.com/ChinoValleyChamberOfCommerce/
Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce Business Expo
Another huge opportunity for the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce and the businesses in our community is our annual Business Expo. And this Business Expo is going to be bigger and better than ever.
The year before I became Chairman of the Board, our Business Expo was on its last legs. In 2014, our Business Expo was held on the lawn in front of Chino City Hall and only 16 businesses participated with very little foot traffic. Since then, our Business Expo has grown substantially and while the numbers vary from last years event, we had between 67 and 80 businesses participating.
We hope to make that even more this year.
It’s still early in the planning process, but we have loads of entertainment secured for the event including Rockstars of Tomorrow, the 2018 Chino Hills Business of the Year. We also are working with the shops at The Shoppes at Chino Hills to be more involved this year too.
All signs point to our best Business Expo to date.
Register for the 2018 Business Expo here – https://chinovalleychamberofcommerce.com/business-expo/
You can also let people know you plan on attending the 2018 Business Expo by visiting the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce’s Business Expo event page here – https://www.facebook.com/events/236670526979566/?active_tab=discussion
Here are some of our upcoming events for the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce. Hope to see you at some of our events this month.
September 7 Ribbon Cutting at the Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery
The Tilted Kilt will be hosting a ribbon cutting on September 7 from 10:30am to 1:00pm. In the morning they’ll be doing a live radio show with Keyshawn Johnson from 6am to 10am. I also heard they’re going to have some inexpensive Mimosas and Bloody Marys if you’re into that sort of thing.
September 20 Chamber Valley Chamber of Commerce Mixer at Chino Neighborhood House
Our September Mixer will be held at Aquiar Square located at 13191 6th St. from 5pm to 7pm in collaboration with the Chino Neighborhood House. Should be a great time, please come to connect with other Chino Valley Business owners at our monthly mixer.
September 24 Ribbon Cutting for Xscape Pods
Xscape Pods is a new Escape Room experience located at 4200 Chino Hills Pkwy, #825.
Join the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce on September 24 from 12pm – 3pm for the coolest new Escape Room experience in town.
Upcoming Business @ Breakfast Topics:
The Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce hosts a weekly Business @ Breakfast every Wednesday from 7:45am to 9am at the Chino Hills Community. Please join us for the opportunity to share your business with 30+ local business owners, learn something to better prepare your business for the future and network.
- September 5 – “How to Budget & Plan for Small Business Success” – Jason Zara from Zara Business Strategies | Breakfast Sponsor –
- September 12 – “Cyber Security” – Eddie Darmawan from D1 Networks, Inc.
- September 19 – “Banking in 2018” – Karon Mulligan from US Bank
- September 26 – “TBD” – BB from SunGuide Solutions
If you joined us this past year, thank you for becoming a new member. Hope to see you sometime in September!
As the new Executive Director for the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce, I wanted to introduce myself and share some of my plans for the future of the chamber.
My online marketing business, Welborn Media, joined the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce in 2012 and became Chino Business of the Year in 2013. Because of my business, I got involved in the chamber by heading the Membership Committee, becoming a Board Member, Executive Board Member, and Chairman of the Board in the 2015/2016 year.
Since starting my business and joining the chamber I’ve had had a strong passion to help business owners be more successful and am excited to take on this new role to help more businesses in the Chino Valley achieve their goals.
One of my biggest goals since joining the Chamber was helping local businesses compete in the global marketplace by understanding how to use the internet to drive business. In today’s economy, the online and the offline world have changed the way business is done. It’s important for an organization like the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce to not only set a strong example, but also to help businesses take advantage of the internet to build a better business
To that end, I plan to have an open dialogue through a monthly Executive Director’s Report to keep you in the loop about everything that’s happening at the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce and, hopefully, give you some ideas and ways to improve your business along the way.
So, here we go…
The theme for our Installation Gala was past, present and future. As a result, we decided to honor members who represented our past, present and future. The following members were honored based on the number of consecutive years they’ve been members with the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce:
- Champion Newspapers
- Southern California Gas Company
- Chino Hills Police/Sheriff’s Department
- Gavrila Dental
- Crum Optometric Group, Inc.
- J G Electrical Services
- Monte Vista Water District
- Heights Christian Schools
- Pomona Valley Health Center-Crossroads
- Chino Neighborhood House
- Chino Hills Corporate Park
- Intro-Tech Automotive
- Loving Savior Lutheran Church & School
- Chino Hills Community Foundation
- The Pub at Chino Hills
- Good Enough Travel
- Golden Empire Mortgage
- West Inland Empire E.A.C.
We also honored the 111 businesses who joined the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce in the past year.
Every year we give awards to those who impact the Chino Valley Business Community. This year our award winners were:
- Above & Beyond Award: David Bare
- Ambassador of the Year: Terry Fitch
- Chairman’s Award: James Gallagher
- Chino Business of the Year: Foddrill Construction
- Chino Hills Business of the Year: Rockstars of Tomorrow
In addition, the Chino Champion honored Lynda Flathers as the Chino Valley Outstanding Citizen of the Year at our Installation Ceremony.
Last but not least, we promoted Frank Ortiz to Past Chairman of the Board and installed Eric Hasanoff as our new Chairman of the Board.
Our new/returning Board of Directors installed at the Installation Gala are:
- Art Bennett: City of Chino Hills
- Eric Hasanoff: Golden Empire Mortgage
- Frank Ortiz: A Shot at Happiness
- Gabriel Hill: Insurance & Surety Services, LLC
- Gail Christner: Apollo Insurance
- Gary George: City of Chino
- Gel Delos Santos: Mortgage Solutions Financial
- Glenda Chavez: Waste Management
- Gustavo Miranda: Sam’s Club
- Gwen Kleist: Kaiser Permanente
- James Gallagher: Dog Park for Chino Hills, Non-Profit
- Leonora Foddrill: Foddrill Construction Corp.
- Marcia McBean: Chino Commercial Bank
- Teresa Hull: Chaffey College
Our Installation Gala would not have gone off without the help and assistance of so many. Thank you to our event sponsors:
- City of Chino
- City of Chino Hills
- Chino Valley Medical Center
- Waste Management
And to table sponsors Champion Newspapers, Southern California Edison, and Walmart; wine sponsor Chino Kiwanis Club, and individual sponsor Apollo Insurance.
A special thank you to Judy Conacher who helped secure a wine donation from New World International Wine Competition. And to Judy and Jim Gallagher for helping to plan the event.
Congratulations to our honorees, award winners, new Board of Directors and outgoing Chairman of the Board, Frank Ortiz on a great year for the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce.
It was exciting to hear new Board Chairman Eric Hasanoff’s vision for the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce. Eric is looking to take a proactive approach in advancing the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce’s profile by enhancing the technology inside the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce to help modernize the Chamber to not only compete in today’s economy, but to help lead the pack. I, for one, will be excited to execute on Eric’s vision.
Pizza & Politics:
On Thursday, July 16 we hosted our quarterly Pizza & Politics at the Carolyn Owens Community Building. The new Captain of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Chino Hills Station, John Walker, spoke on Business Safety Tips and introduced himself to our business community. Seems like the Chino Valley business community is in good hands with the new Captain.
Ribbon Cuttings, Grand Openings & Anniversaries:
We hosted some exciting Ribbon Cuttings and Grand Openings in July.
- July 7: Wheel House Center
- July 19: Lewis Apartments
On July 19 we also hosted an Anniversary event at Dickey’s BBQ.
Business @ Breakfast:
Our Wednesday Business @ Breakfast event is a great way to connect with other business professionals and learn something along the way. The following speakers did a great job sharing their knowledge on the following with the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce at 7:45am on Wednesdays at the Chino Hills Community Center.
- July 11: Steven Melo from Lyoness Cash Back Solutions spoke on “Customer Loyalty & CRM”
- July 18: Carlos Garcia from FYI Technologies spoke on “Cyberbullying”
- July 25: Frank Ortiz from A Shot at Happiness spoke on “The Magic Within Us”
- Wednesday, August 15: Patrick Moesser from Vertical Computers will be speaking on “Virtual CIO vs. Conventional CIO” at our Business @ Breakfast at 7:45am at the Chino Hills Community Center.
- Thursday, August 16: Chino Valley Chamber August Mixer by and at the Chino Youth Museum from 5 to 7pm. Come check out our newest members at our monthly night-time mixer.
- Wednesday, August 22: Judy Conacher from Snaptown-ShopCV will be speaking on “Shop Local” at our Business @ Breakfast at 7:45am at the Chino Hills Community Center.
- Saturday, August 25: Chino Smiles Dentistry and Orthodontics will host a Grand Re-Opening Celebration at their office at 6961 Schaefer Avenue from 11am to 1pm. Expect complimentary In-N-Out, Face Painting, Balloon Art, a Bounce House, Cotton Candy, DJ Entertainment, Raffles and more.
- Wednesday, August 29: Ryan Pourhassanian from the Chino Valley Fire District will be speaking on the “Cardiac Care Program” at our Business @ Breakfast at 7:45am at the Chino Hills Community Center.
Facebook Video Plan:
Last, but not least I always wanted the Chamber to do a better job at promoting our local businesses online. To that end, I wanted to let you know of my intention to shoot a Facebook video per week highlighting a Chamber member business. This will give us all an opportunity to get to know each other better and highlight our member businesses.
Every month I will interview Chamber members via video (or if the Chamber member prefers highlight their business in a Facebook post.)
Each month I’ll break it down to a video per week. The videos will be chosen from the following categories:
- Highlight a Board Member
- Highlight an Ambassador
- Social Media Contest Winner
- Raffle Winner at Business @ Breakfast Meeting
We will also share these videos in our Executive Directors Report each month and via our email database.
For our first social media contest, we had Yeri Chu State Farm, Delicate Smiles, Foddrill Construction, CORE Real Estate and Mountain Mike’s participate. You can watch our live video unveiling our winner here – https://www.facebook.com/ChinoValleyChamberOfCommerce/videos/291367688263007/
Thank you for being a member of the Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce. We’re looking forward to great things in the 2018/2019 Chamber year.
Thanks for everything!